The Lutheran Historical Institute is housed at the Alberta-British Columbia District office of Lutheran Church-Canada (LCC) on the campus of Concordia University College of Alberta. Records held at the Lutheran Historical Institute (LHI) begin around 1892 and include administrative records and photographs of the Synodical office of LCC, the Alberta-British Columbia District of LCC, the Central District of LCC, and a number of congregations, Concordia University College of Alberta, Concordia Lutheran Seminary Edmonton, Lutheran Women’s Missionary League, Lutheran Layman’s League, Lutheran Association of Missionary Pilots, personal papers of officers, professors, pastors and laypersons. The Special Collections library consists of books, periodicals and various publications relating to the history of Lutheranism in North America dating from the 1500’s. The holdings also include a number of artifacts and audiovisual materials.
To encourage discovery of the foundations of the Lutheran faith in Canada, the Lutheran Historical Institute serves the Lutheran Church-Canada, its congregations, institutions and communities by:
The purpose of the Lutheran Historical Institute is to foster the study of Lutheranism in Canada, provide a Canadian perspective to Lutheran studies in North American and world Lutheranism and to bring LHI into the mainstream of academic life at Concordia University of Alberta and Concordia Lutheran Seminary.
Please consider joining us and becoming a member. Your membership assists LHI in helping to preserve the past for better understanding of the present and for planning for the future.
Individual Membership $20.00
Congregational Membership $100.00
If you would like to join us in preserving this collection please contact us at 780 474-8156 for details.
“Worship for Shut-Ins” (WFSI) is a 30 minute Lutheran television worship service. It includes the readings for the day, prayers, and a Lutheran pastor delivering a message that is one-on-one to the viewer. Also included are up to four choir selections. Each program is closed captioned for the hearing impaired.
Since 1965, WFSI television broadcasts have been bringing church to the shut-in and many others. The program was conceived and produced by the Rev. Oswald Bertram at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Toledo, Ohio. It continued after his death in 1979 under the leadership of Pastor's Jim Stalder and Pastor John Westra, at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The program director was Ray Huebschmann. WFSI continues to provide a unique link between the church, its shut-in members, and many others.
For 30 years, Holy Cross served as the production site for the creation of each WFSI program. The Luepke Chapel inside of Holy Cross served as the preaching station and the sanctuary offered musical groups the perfect setting for the recording of the traditional church hymns heard on each broadcast.
In August 2010, those operations were moved to the newly constructed Elsie Rossman Media Center. The center sits on the campus of Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, Indiana. For the first time in its history, all WFSI production offices and volunteer functions are housed in the same building. The Wolf Chapel, as the studio has been named, offers a state of the art facility for the production of quality TV programming. In recent years, WFSI has received a number of local, regional, and national production awards. Continuing with that level of excellence is essential for this ministry.
Weekly programs are distributed in three different ways: first, through the purchase of airtime on almost 100 local TV stations; the second is through the Total Christian Television (TCT) network satellite broadcast; and third, through webcasts that can be found on the Programming tab on the WFSI website, www.worshipforshutins.org